Martha or Mary?

One of the most beautiful histories in the Holy Scriptures is the one that speaks about Martha and Mary. I would like to share my meditation with you. Let’s learn with them.

Luke 10 ( The Message)

Mary and Martha

38-40 As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village. A woman by the name of Martha welcomed him and made him feel quite at home. She had a sister, Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word he said. But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. “Master, don’t you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand.”

41-42 The Master said, “Martha, dear Martha, you’re fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it’s the main course, and won’t be taken from her.”

The Lord Jesus rebuked Martha because she was way to busy to listen Jesus words. Isn’t the way that we do it sometimes? We allow distractions, commitments to divert us from what is really important: Our communion with God.

Martha

–  Missed opportunity

–  Focus in the wrong

–  She served

Mary

–  Thirsty of God’s Word

–  Spent time to ear God’s voice

–  Left the physical needs behind

–  Knew the importance of stopping everything and have her moments with God

–  She gave her best offering

–  Didn’t care what people would say about her

–  She was the offering

With whom you identify yourself? Martha or Mary?

Collaboration of Ana Bacala

This entry was posted in God's Voice, Mrs. Ana, Protect your Faith and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Martha or Mary?

1. carla goncalves says:

Hi Pastor
    I was waiting for the weekly message since Monday and its so strong .
    Thank you for sharing with us .

2. Beatrice Emiku says:

Dear Pastor and Mrs Ana, I have been waiting for the post and thank God it came today. Thank You the message was powerful. For me this needs a spiritual checkup am I a Mary or a Martha?

3. Hellena Gusinyu says:

Thank you Pastor Elijah for sharing this story , Martha’s life sounds like ours today, hectic, filled to brim with rushing and hurrying, pressed down by pressure to get it done, be on time,bossing others around even god. But for Mary she choose the right part to sit and listen and allowed jesus words touch her heart and melt away her selfish thoughts,and hear from on high what she need for that day to receive the bright cup of blessing.Ooh What a blessing i want to be like Mary for sure.

4. Jestina Yohannes says:

As iam writing this email i’m sitting in a cafe waiting for my time to start work, I am early for work i’m thinking, how am I responding to the things of God, am I too busy or complaisance. Mary was not worried about anything except to hear the word of God. The message last night in the service was so strong that the Holy Spirit have showed me my coffin that I have been for a few years and today i’ve started to do something about it, thank God because I was a bit relactant. Thank you Pr for inspiring me. Jestina

5. Sally Kimondo says:

Thank you Pastor and Mrs Anna, for posting this message! Last week Friday after attending the meeting, I continued to meditate upon the teaching Mrs Anna inspired us with, I realised I needed to spiritually check myself and identify if I was Mary or Martha and ask myself if God saw me as Martha or Mary?
    Most of us women/ladies want to be the hardworking, organised individuals but most importantly the things we don’t take into details that God expects from us we tend to take it for granted!
    I have started learning and continue to apply what God expects from me! It was a very strong message! Thanks again

6. Briony Bangura says:

Wow, this meditation was great. I can staraight away see who I identify myself with. It’s interesting to note that it was Martha who invited Jesus into their home. This means Martha did see value in Jesus, however she was still very ‘physical’. The value she saw in Him perhaps came from knowledge of His popularity. Mary also saw value in Him, but she wanted more, she understood He had something to give and she made sure she would recieve it. I need to be more like Mary, not only understanding what’s important but also prioritising it and get the true benefits from it-for example having life from a relatinoship with Jesus.

7. Yetunde Omoniyi says:

There are certain things I can pin point from both the characteristics of Mary and Martha, but I guess its one or the other.. Just like Briony said, there should always be the prioritising (whats important should be first which is our communion with God in everything) and thats how Mary was. She didnt care that her sister was preparing food, she wanted the ‘food’ that would last forever – Jesus! Its not that she despised, but she put Him before family….
    And this is the way I need to be all the time – always looking for ways to put Him before who I am, my ways etc.

Thank you..